Sunday, October 14, 2012

"A Week At The Indies" First Episode!

So, I decided to scrap the Michael vs Jeremy XBLIG podcast idea.  Reasoning is that Jeremy and I have two very different schedules and I have enough trouble getting him to join up for a quick 30 minute session for the friendly MvJ competitions.  Because of this, I decided I'd do something else entirely.  A YouTube series with quick blurbs on each game released over the course of the week and whether I thought it was worth the time to try and maybe the money to own.  And so I present you with my new XBLIG review series, "A Week At The Indies."


My goal is to have one of these out each weekend. I'd prefer having everything done on a Friday night, but considering this first episode took me 8-9 hours total between video capture, script, narration recording and editing, piecing together different relevant sections of said video captures according to my narration, and uploading, well...I don't know if that's going to be possible without me getting a lot better at this.

So it looks like I'll just have to get better at this, huh?  Here's hoping I can do just that.  Hope you enjoyed the show!

2 comments:

  1. Third-person brickout? I can get behind that.

    I'm looking forward to the next video! I wouldn't put so much time into the scriptwriting next time, though. You're one of the funniest dudes I know and there were some good moments in here, but the delivery falls a little flat when I can tell you're reading a script.

    I bet you could do fine setting up a loose list of points to hit (sort of reminders to mention certain aspects of each game) and improvising the jokes. Even if it takes a couple retakes and a bit of lost comedy gold (some of my best moments in film are on outtake reels), it'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try a script at least once more, but this time with a bit more confidence and a rehearsal and a few different revisions and takes. Honestly, when I have to give extended presentations to people without a script, it's painful. And, in this case, all I can think of is, "My audience is potentially the entire goddamned internet. Kill me now."

      I'll be completely honest. This one was rushed, was done with no confidence, was done in one take (though with LOTS of editing out pauses and ums and screw-ups), and was done without really knowing what I was doing or what I could do. Looking back at the final product, with the exception of three lines that came out REALLY forced-sounding (though I actually liked them when I wrote them and sounded them out in my head), I'm so damn surprised it turned out as well as it did that I just want to do effing cartwheels.

      That said...I like critique, so PLEASE, send more my way. I need to know how to make this as entertaining and engaging as possible. Informative I can do.

      And thank you. :)

      Delete